Activities for Kids
Children four years and older enthusiastically take part in Pine Vista's activities for kids. Our kids' activities include crafts, theme days, nature hikes, sports and water fun. These activities are available during the summer from Monday through Friday, four hours per day. Our carefully chosen recreation staff provides caring supervision in a safe and fun-filled environment.
In addition to our scheduled activities, we have an indoor playroom, and we have created a preschool play area right beside the beach. The fenced-in area is partially shaded, and includes climbers, a sandbox, a playhouse and a teeter-totter.
Click on the link below to see our summer recreation programs.
Activities for Teens & Adults
Kids aren't the only ones who have fun at Pine Vista. By popular request, we have expanded the variety and availability of our summer recreation activities for teenagers and adults.
In addition to campfires, pool and volleyball activities, we now hold tournaments, canoe trips, and many more exciting events in which teens and adults can participate.
For the enjoyment of all of our guests, kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats are available for free.
For those interested in fishing or exploring Stoney Lake, we have 14-foot aluminum fishing boats with 9.9-hp motors available for rent, as well as one 16-foot bass boat with a 40-hp motor, live well and swivel seats.
Larger groups that wish to tour and explore the lake can rent our pontoon boats. We have one 18-foot pontoon boat with a 40-hp motor, equipped for 9 people. For a small fee, guests with private boats can make use of our excellent launching and docking facilities. Please see our online brochure for rates.
- We require a damage deposit of $150 on 14' boats and $700 on Bass and Pontoon boats.
- All boat rentals include one tank of gas and safety equipment.
- Lifejackets are available.
- You will be charged for boats reserved in your name, unless cancelled at least one week prior to arrival.
- Modern fish cleaning and freezing facilities and fishing pole rentals available
Regardless of how seriously you take your fishing, Stoney Lake provides some of the best angling opportunities in the Kawarthas. Pine Vista Resort offers new modern fish cleaning and freezing facilities, rod and reel rentals as well as bait and tackle sales.
Fishing licenses and gas are available at a small supply store next door. Excellent launching and docking facilities are available for your private boats.
Whether you're a veteran angler in search of that elusive trophy or a newcomer to the sport of fishing, Stoney Lake has it all. Muskie, bass and pickerel (a.k.a. walleye) abound.
Some of the following hints will help you:
- Pickerel (or Walleye as our American friends call them) are considered to be one of the best eating fish and range from three to fourteen pounds. Some of the most effective methods include slowly jigging a leech or worm along a deep water weed line, slowly trolling a "Rapala" type lure, or using a weight forward spinner. Remember a slow presentation is best. Pickerel are schooling fish so if you catch one stay in that area.
- Bass, both smallmouth and largemouth, are plentiful in Stoney Lake. The smallmouth bass is renowned for its acrobatic jumps and fighting prowess when hooked. Try surface lures. Jigs can also be effective. Largemouth bass prefer a weedier environment and can be tempted with carefully presented spinner baits, plastic worms, or weedless jigs. Live bait such a frogs, minnows or crayfish can tempt any bass.
- Muskellunge, or Muskie for short, is the King of Sport Fish in Stoney Lake. Growing in size to over thirty pounds these "fresh water sharks" give the angler a real challenge. Large lures and stiff tackle are the mainstays of Muskie fishing. Lures such as the Suick or Teddy Bait or oversized spinner baits are effective when casting along weed lines with deeper water nearby. Trolling lures such as the Swim Whiz or Believers are the best when worked quickly. Try fishing at the end of September and early October for the real trophy fish.
- Panfish are very common in Stoney Lake and are highly co-operative for even beginning anglers. Perch,sunfish and rock bass will accommodate the angler who offers a hook and worm. These fish are excellent for introducing the youngsters to the joys of fishing. There is no time for them to be bored as the action is fast and furious. Work shallow water with weeds and rocks. Be prepared though -- more than one Muskie has attacked a hook and worm offered by a youngster on a sunny afternoon! NOTE: To preserve the fish population, we have a limit on panfish of 25 fish per person per day.
Remember, it is always wise to check with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources or your tourist operator regarding licensing requirements before wetting a line.
As a guest of Pine Vista, you will have access to one of Canada's best, new private golf courses. Wildfire is masterfully designed for all skill levels by Thomas McBroom.
Pine Vista is also ideally suited for your next Golf Tournament or Business Retreat. Or you may wish to attend the Wildfire Golf Academy to improve your game. Information on the course and Academy can be found atwww.golfwildfire.com.
Our staff would be pleased to customize a package for you taking into consideration the number of persons and number of rounds you wish to play. Massage therapy treatments may also be incorporated into your package at time of booking.
At Pine Vista, whatever the season, the surrounding flora is always breathtaking.
You can tour over 150 acres of wood and walking trails adjacent to the resort property. Take in the abundance of birds, animals and wildflowers on our eight kilometres of marked nature trails.
Whether you enjoy walking or jogging you will find out why this wooded area is truly a nature lover's paradise.
Pine Vista Resort is on the shores of beautiful Stoney Lake and offers a full range of water-based activities for you and your family. We have our own private sandy beach, ideal for children. During the summer months, the crystal-clear lake reaches the perfect temperature for swimming and water sports.
If you prefer, you can swim or splash about in our heated pool, or relax in the soothing bubbles of our hot tub. You can enjoy our complimentary canoes and kayaks and explore Stoney Lake, or take a stroll along the lake shoreline. You can rent a boat and go fishing, or just cast your line off our docks.